Sunday, January 10, 2010

Island Experience


I Lied - I went to Koh Samed Island. :)

So. 3 days on a tropical beach with 30 exchange students on our first weekend out. Wonder where THAT could get us eh? haha


Lets see.

Friday: got up at 6am and travelled with 8 others to the island. 40 minute taxi, 3.5 hour bus ride. 45 minute ferry. and ahhh we have arrived. We just went to the first beach hut huts we could find and bought rooms for the night - 300 Baht for a double bed - so I shared with Emily so 150 Baht each ($5) per night. But - sadly - we should of splurged and spent $8 a night because our little hut hut was not as luxurious as expected, ok not luxurious at all. haha. It was actually dingy - it reminded me of a crack addicts house. But it did the trick - it had a bed with questionable sheets and a bathroom where when you use the toilet it just drops below the house (we were risen). This island sounds so beautiful so far doesnt it? hahahhaa. But - we knew we'd sleep there for a whole of 4 hours a night - in a drunken stupor - so class wasnt part of our act.

The beach was RIGHT there. White Sands. and Blue Blue water. SOOO lovely. So we mostly just swam and layed in the sun all day. I lathered on that sun screen. But it had no effect against this Asian sun - it beat me rashy. Now my chest looks like a tomato with spots. Not pretty. BUT.....the rest of me......looks like I just spent an entire Canadian summer tanning - but i got this in only 3 days. bahah. LOVE IT.

We played some frisbee and drank on the beach. What a life - I can see why people visit Thailand and then never leave - Island life is the life for me!

There were restaurants all along the beach that put out little tables at dinner time with cushions to sit on. So we went to this one place that was like a seafood buffet - except all the food was alive - talk about fresh! You went up and pointed to what you wanted - fish, crab, snails. I choose a crab to eat - they picked him up out of his bucket where he was happily floating around and put him onto the barbeque and then onto my plate. Not the happy ending he intended. But I must admit - it sure was the happy ending I intended! The crab was amazing! Except - I realized I take advantage of things in Canada - like utensils - Have you ever tried to eat a full shelled crab with only your hands? Yeah....not as fun as it sounds! haha. So the group of us probably spent the next 2 hours fighting with our crabs to open the shells to eat them. But it was by far the best crab I have ever eaten! So so good. And the price of that amazingly fresh crab? 100 Baht - $3. I am never going to Red Lobster again.

Then we spent the whole night drinking and talking and dancing on the beach. By this time lots of toher exchange students from my building had trickled in....so we massed about 35 students all excited for the island fun.

Saturday: Woke up bright and early 8am and headed on down to the beach - we were still exhausted but the only harm done was the 4 minute walk to the beach chairs since we all just layed on the beach and went back to bed. hahah. Oh yes....I can feel your jealousy. :) haha. Spent all day again just swimming and laying around. and again we went out at night time for fresh food and fun. Then we saw this fire show. locals played with fire on sticks and danced with them. It was really neat.

Sunday: Woke up early and sat on the beach. :) But I decided I didnt really want to hang around the beach all day anymore when we were on an awesome island that I KNEW had beautiful sights. So I went to rent a motorbike - problem is - I dont know how to drive one. They didnt show me how to stop and i pressed the gas went flying across the road and crashed into a flower bed. haha that was the end of Chrystals driving a motorbike. No injuries except to my ego. But then Geoff and Drew said they wanted to go so Geoff took me on his bike with him and we wondered around the island for 3 hours. There are not roads on this island...there are death traps. haha. The roads were TERRRIBLE. pot holes everywhere, really steep up hills and down hills, and driving on the left hand side. I had my hand on geoff's shoulder and one behind my butt on the handle there. We saw some AMAZING sights up at the top of the mountain - a 360 degree view on the island with the sea around us - so pretty. But by the end of that ride - you could of slapped my butt and I would not of felt it cause that motorbike had NO shocks what-so-ever!! bumpiest ride of life and at times terrifying cause i was bouncing around and thought it would be a 1-2-3-chrystals in tree. haha but thankfully I am alive and well and saw some amazing beaches.

Now I am back home - CLEAN - no more salty skin for me - and going to get some sleep. I start my first full week of school tomorrow: Mon-Wed. Tough eh? haha

Heres a 360 view from the beach.




1 comment: