Saturday, June 26, 2010

Indonesia - Bali, Yogya, Bandung

Heya,

When I have time I'll update about my month long traveling with Jeannie, but for now I'll update on the last two weeks here in Indonesia!!

Indonesia is a beautiful country - very different than Thailand, mainly because Indonesia is a Muslim country. New sights, new sounds, new smells - my senses are very happy to be here!!

SO I flew Bangkok-Jakarta late at night on June 16th - arriving at 11:30PM. After immigration and security and baggage it was about 1AM.....I had a pre-reserved flight to Bali leaving at 6AM so I just stayed in the airport. I met two girls from Aussie and 1 guy from Philippines, so we all stayed up all night talking. At 4AM I went up to Merpati Airlines to get in for my flight and they said "you dont have a flight, that reservation was for 3 hrs only".....wtf????? I checked it like 2 days before and everything was in order - I reserved the flight instead of purchasing because Indonesian websites so not allow international credit cards to pay for anything...its really stupid. So yeah....here I am in Jakarta airport.....4AM after staying up all night.....and now with no flight...UGH....so I wet to KFC for free internet to look up other flights and find the cheapest. Lionair was cheapest but I had to switch terminals - I waited for the transfer bus but it never came, and meanwhile I had met a girl from Scotland who had a flight and was getting worried -so we split the cost of a taxi instead of waiting. Woot for meeting randoms! haha I then booked my flight and had to wait around until 1PM when it would leave!! ugh....I was SO SO SO exhausted by this time haha eventually I landed in Bali and my CS host, named Titik, picked me up and took me to her house in the Bali country side - stunning scenery! :)

SO Bali! Amazing place - people are great fun - fights are beautiful - and the island is small so I can see everything in a short time! :D Only problem is there is NO public transportation on Bali - so I had to hire a motorbike driver to take me around - I am lousy and do not feel comfortable driving around by myself on a moto. I saw beautiful ocean-side temples including Tanah Lot and Ulu Watu. Ulu Watu had monkeys around - but they were evil monkeys who jumped on Titik's head and stole her sunglasses!!! I tried to hit them with my walking stick but they growled at me and started to chase me~ So I ran squealing like a pig! I was terrified....evil monkeys......

Then Titik took me to Dreamland beach where the waves were HUGE!!! I stood in ankle deep water and a wave would break about 5 meters in front of me and I would be pushed back to forcefully by the way I'd end up 20 feet away trying to stand and not drown!!! hahaha It was fun even though it was scary to see these massive waves coming right at me looking like they wanted to eat me! :D haha

I then went up to Ubud, the cultural centre, of Bali for 2 days/1 night. I saw traditional Balinese dancers for an evening, went to a monkey forest sanctuary, viewed surrounding temples, and went to the market!!! :D Ubud was my favourite place in Bali - beautiful little city with lots to see and do. People were very nice everywhere and the shopping was fantastic :D my type of place!!

Then at 6:10AM June 22nd I flew to Yogyakarta (pronounced Jogjakarta) and landed at 6:20AM>....haha it was an hour long flight but there is a time change between Bali Island and Java island. :) I came to Yogya to see the ancient temples of Borobudor and Prambanan!!! But I also got to see some unknown temples up on mountains and hidden down back lanes. :) I was staying with Ardian, another CS Host, and he took me around everywhere - it was greatly appreciated - I get a friend and a guide to take me around for free :) THe best part about being a blonde - is the random photos people want to take of you. ALL LOCALS come up to me and ask to take my photo with them!! haha I think its great fun - I am all alone traveling so Its great to take photos with randoms and have somebody to talk to. :D

I now just took a Train to Bandung to visit my AIESEC friends I met in Taiwan at APXLDS conference in March!! Well....I love trains.....but I had a guy, about 45, sitting next to me, who when he sat down, put his pillow RIGHT on my shoulder, put his head down, and went to sleep. Meanwhile I am looking bewildered wondering wtf?!?! hahah I was SOOO confused as to why he was leaning on me cause i couldnt move - so I kept moving to maybe get him to get off my shoulder but he would just readjust himself!! hahah after about an hour he FINALLY got off me but I was almost in tears it was so funny by then. hahahha EVERYBODY was Indonesian on the train - so I was all alone trying not to laugh out loud at the hilarity of the situation. hahah But looking around - it seemed to be normal to lean on the person next to you.....you figure there'd be an exception for young blonde foreigners?!?!?? Nope - no exceptions - they are blending me into their culture!! haha! Well no harm done!

SO I arrive in bandung bright and early 6AM to be precise. then I called up Inez who was super and woke up early for me!! And I am now at her apartment!! :) Yesterday I met up with Cao (from APXLDS, Singapore delegate) and Teresa (intern here in Bandung from Texas). We went.......SHOPPING!! Of course!! haha What else! I bought one pretty shirt and some small gifts. Cheap Cheap! :) THen we went to a 'family gathering' hosted by LC Bandung, AIESEC. SO hung out with AIESEC'ers all night and played games, and danced, and smiled. It was a good night. but since I was exhausted - I left when they started to watch the Football game to get a MUCH needed full-nights sleep!! and I did! 10 hours. :D mmmm!!

Now we are up to today!! WOw! We are going to the lake today and to see some of the other sights of Bandung! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment