Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Vietnam - Day 9 and 10 - Halong Bay

So Halong Bay. Looks like pirates of the caribbean!!! :) All the boats are called "Junks". That is not in reference to their quality but is a Chinese name for the type of boat. That is the extent of my knowledge on that subject!! haha
We also went into the "Amazing Cave". Which is a cave of stalicties. OR something or another :) ahha It was massive, but it was lite up with funny coloured lights so was extremely touristy and not as beautiful as it should be. Then we went kayaking through some of these island rock formations through tunnels and into a cove area and there were MONKEYS!!!!!!!!! I was the 5th, so I didnt have a pair for kayaking so I ended up going with the Tour Guide. WHich turned out to be way more fun because he told me stories about the area and random facts about Vietnam and such that I would not of gotten if I'd got with another tourist!! So It was really neat to sit and talk to this local for a long while. about 2 hours or so!! But we then fed the Monkeys peanuts - but the tour guide warned not to get too close to the shore cause the monkeys would come and bite you!!! haha we got farily close and they showed us their monkey teeth. I was scared. haha. They looked so cute, and I had to go close cause I wasnt wearing my glasses! hahah silly Monkeys being grey and blending in to the rock!!!




After we returned from Kayaking we went swimming!! It was like 15 degrees outside. haah It was freeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzinggggggggggg!!! But it was nothing compared to Lake SUperior so I wasnt too worried - it was the Australians we met on the Junk who were dreading every moment of it - but oh so funny for me to watch. haha We got to climb to the top of the Junk and jump off of it!! somebody pushed me once and I went into a somewhat dive but mroe of an unfortunate Belly Flop!!! hahaha It was painful, and worse because it is salt water so when I opened my mouth under water I got a WHOLE lottta nasty in my mouth!! hahah. Yucky salt water. But I could definitely feel how much lighter I was in the salt water compared to home!! I was just floating up as if I was wearing a life jacket.....ok.....not that much.....but still!! :)

And then crazy enough, a lady we had met on teh night bus from Hoi An to Ninh Binh, we ended up seeing again in halong Bay!! haha so that was super neat!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment